Thursday, September 8, 2011


And for once it might be grand
to have someone understand,
I want so much more then they've got planned
-Beauty and the Beast



Beauty and the Beast. A classic and, in my mind, the best Disney film. Maybe I took to it because she was the first brunette "princess" so I could obviously relate to her so much more than the previous princesses. Plus, she loves to read so basically, she's me in cartoon form.

I have to admit, watching this movie again now is a little...upsetting. Firstly, the Beast's rose is set to bloom until his 21st birthday at which point, if he doesn't find love *spoilers* he's stuck as a beast forever. 21?? Twenty one? As in the year Americans become old enough to legally purchase alcohol? Granted, some people have been fortunate enough to find their true love before or by that age but goodness, I can't imagine it. Not because here I am, 23 and single but because I have grown and changed so much in the past six months, not to mention the past two years.

Then again, at the same time, 21 was quite old to my ten year old self and I had always imagined being married and starting a family pretty quickly. That I blame on my mother and all the other Disney movies. I also blame Disney for setting unrealistic expectations. Why does there seem to be a Prince on every corner who's ready to build their Princess a library or travel through town putting a shoe on every girl he sees? Oh Disney, you kill me but you know what? I wouldn't trade those unrealistic expectations for anything. That's how you'll know that guy's someone special.

Secondly, it's upsetting only because I really am an adult now and this movie only reminds me of simpler times. Was it really 15 years ago that I was pretending to be Belle in my gold ball gown at halloween? My how time has flown. Now, my life didn't turn out the way I had imagined it would when I was ten but then again I had wanted to be the next Lindsay Lohan. Frankly, I think I got the better end of the deal.

So, for the next 90 minutes I will escape into the France on my screen while remembering my youth, still wishing I had the blue jumper dress to wear everyday to work. Looks like someone just found her halloween costume!

1 comment:

  1. Girl I'm right there with you on the whole 21 thing. I watched it recently and felt the same way!

    ReplyDelete