Thursday, December 8, 2011

Record Review

I've done reviews of shows you need to be watching (have you started watching them yet?) and will do more of those in the near future. I have also reviewed artists and singles I really think everyone should have in their life (no bias, of course). But today, I bring you something a little different. A music review of someone I actually know.

Being the band nerd that I was, I was lucky enough to meet a lot of incredibly talented people. I think that's one of the coolest things about band - you may do one thing inside the halls of the school but outside, in the comfort of your own home or in front of your friends, many do something in addition to the trumpet, flute or oboe they play. Music seeps into your life and leaves you constantly wanting to learn more, to do more with it, which I think it's one of the coolest things about it. Now, onto the review!

His name is Preston Leatherman, the EP is titled Live from the Basement: Volume 1 and basically, it's awesome. For me, the coolest part when listening to the songs were the fact that he wrote, recorded and produced everything on this EP. To me, he's a mix of Gavin DeGraw and Hanson, or another eclectic singer/group who writes their own music, which I really believe to be my favorite part. Knowing he sat down and wrote the words and music, scratched out a certain line or changed a chord. He put the various layers together and made the songs what they are. Knowing that he did all of it and put out a great album is pretty inspiring; I'm sure it will do the same for you.

He's a hilariously awesome musician and dancer in public and I cannot encourage you enough to go check out his website, www.prestonleatherman.net and start following him on twitter @prestonstweetin for updates on his shows, music and hilarious youtube videos. He's on facebook too, so give the name Preston Leatherman a search and get used to hearing it, I'm positive it's not the last you'll hear of him.

0 comments:

Post a Comment