Sunday, August 7, 2011



"Some people are settling down, some people are settling and some people refuse to settle for anything less...than butterflies."
--Carrie Bradshaw


Well, it's that time again. Sunday night always rolls around and I always feel like I did in primary school - bummed. Not necessarily bummed to go to work but sad that another weekend has come to an end.

I was remembering a conversation had between friends last weekend earlier today. Somehow we got onto the topic of relationships and settling and ever since then I've wondered, is settling worse than ending up alone? I'm not sure. Part of me says yes, absolutely. How can you be happy if the whole time you're wondering what else is out there? But when you're alone, you can't help wonder if you gave up on the one you were supposed to end up with. Or when you're going to meet the one you will end up with.

Which raised another point, if everyone has their one that got away, what is it that prevents us from trying to win them back? Is it pride? Or is it the fear that they got away for a reason? Too many times we over think things. Emotions, relationships, actions. My first instinct is to overanalyze everything when it comes to interactions with the opposite sex which tends to make things, or really just me, crazy. But now, I have decided to think less and just got for it. Go with your gut and don't look back. That's what my professors always told me on tests and it looks like it's pretty applicable to life.

So the question remains: would you rather settle or be alone? Would you risk losing a good relationship because you believe a better one must out there? Or would you hold out in the hope that that good relationship turns into the one that gives you butterflies? Would you stay in a relationship because you're scared to be alone, even if it you know you're only in it to maintain the status quo? Or would you go for it, try to find the right person for you knowing full well that you might not? It's taken me a couple hundred words plus a quote from a wise woman to realize, I won't settle for anything less than butterflies. And if he doesn't show up, at least I have my dog...

3 comments:

  1. More often then not the one that got away doesn't want to come back, regardless of his/her efforts in winning them back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that when you find the one that you are meant to be with that you never ask the question of whether or not you are settling. The truth of the matter is that in that person you find something even better than what you were hoping for. Keep looking for him.. he's out there. I found mine.

    P.S. When I wasn't actively looking for someone is when it happened. Kind of funny how life is always that way!

    ReplyDelete