Saturday, October 1, 2011


"The world breaks everyone, and afterward many are strong at the broken places." --Ernest Hemingway




Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the entire process of working out, lifting weights, getting swole, based on the process of tearing your muscles so they mend themselves bigger? Granted, some of that terminology is probably wrong and it might be a bit more complicated than that but the idea is the same. Break it down, build it back stronger. So why is it then, that when we're confronted with situations that could lead to incredible growth, we run?

We're told all the time to exercise and work out to stay healthy and lead longer, better lives but I think we should also be encouraged and reminded to keep our lives filled with challenges. When a relationship suddenly requires more effort or communication, don't run scared. Stay and fight. When a job has you working 60+ hours a week and all you want to do is lock yourself in a closet, don't. Know that the busy will fade and you'll be a better worker, able to handle the thousand assignments in 40 hours easy.

I don't think people see challenges in their lives as that. They see them as complications, something to be wiped from the slate before moving onto the next easy activity. But be honest, where's the fun in easy? I didn't sign up for a half-marathon because I thought it'd be easy. I wanted a chance to push myself harder and farther than I had before. I wanted the experience, the goals, the satisfaction at the end. I'm not saying all quitting is bad. Some relationships aren't meant to last, some jobs are simply stepping stones, but don't be so quick to push the eject button. You never know what you're going to learn about yourself if you try a little harder, push a little farther.

0 comments:

Post a Comment