Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Well everybody hurts,
That’s where we’re all the same
We drive on through the worst
And push on through the pain
-Gavin Degraw




Gavin Degraw recently released his latest album, Sweeter, and let me tell you, it's phenomenal. I loved his first album, enjoyed the second and have yet to listen to his third but this one is on par. I can't decide which song is my favorite because they change every other day and because they relate to some aspect of my life.

My sister used to ask me what I heard first in songs, the lyrics or the melody and to be frank, I still don't know. The melody will get stuck in my head for hours when I don't know the words and after I've memorized the words, I'll listen to a song on repeat because it "speaks" to me. And yes, I know that sounds so incredibly lame but isn't that the entire point of music? To reach an audience who relates completely to your words and can say, 'Hey, I've been there'? To write a piece of music that is so entrancing and memorable that, no matter what you do, you can't get it out of your head? I think so...or that's why I listen to most of the music I do.

It's incredible to me just how much songs can change your outlook on things. I think that's why Gavin DeGraw's latest release is so exciting. Every song fits a different situation and even though some are sad songs at their core, they can still make you smile. That's the brilliance of music. It listens when you don't know what to say, it's there when you're friends are busy. It can make you smile or encourage that flood of tears that you've been dying to get out but just couldn't...until now.

If I didn't convey my feelings enough by now, I highly highly recommend purchasing the newest release from Gavin DeGraw, Sweeter, or at least giving it a fair listen to on Spotify. And if you're not a fan of pop music, at least listen to it and give the guy some respect for writing and playing his own music.

0 comments:

Post a Comment