Saturday, January 14, 2012


"All growth is a leap in the dark, a spontaneous unpremeditated act without benefit of experience." --Henry Miller

I officially think the decade between 18 and 28 is the most challenging one in a person's life, filled with so many changes and new experiences it's terrifying. Then again, considering I'm over the middle hump of said decade, I'm a little biased and have no experience to state otherwise. But think about it - you graduate high school and move on to higher learning, and if you don't pursue a college degree you enter the real world. You are given the right to vote, to purchase and consume alcohol and defend your country. You graduate college and are suddenly thrust into the working world of 8-5 jobs and living for the weekend, thinking about long term leases and even marriage. It's a turbulent decade, filled with more firsts than I can count, which makes it incredibly daunting.

I found the quote from Henry Miller after searching for 'leap of faith' and chose his because it really rang true to me. We all have those moments when we know the decision will have a huge, and I mean huge, affect on life as you know it and you become paralyzed, terrified of making the wrong choice. I just went through this and made a life altering decision, and the more I think about it, the more I know I made the right choice. I think those leap of faith moments are the best ones. They make you think and come to grips with who you are and what's important to you. Those are the moments when the most growth occurs, when you don't know what's going to happen and you have to throw caution to the wind.

I've realized that the only way to step over the edge and take that leap is to go with your gut. Your head will always over think but your heart will tell you what is best for you, and in those situations, I can guarantee your heart will be sitting in the pit of your stomach, surrounded by anxiety and fear. But go for it. You'll be happier and a lot better off than you were before.

0 comments:

Post a Comment