Thursday, January 5, 2012

"Maybe this world is another planet's Hell."
--Aldous Huxley



Let me start this post by saying, I don't find the above quote to be true (all the time), I just find it entertaining. Wouldn't it be interesting, though, if Earth really was another planet's hell? Wrap your mind around that one.

I found the above quote after searching for 'funny quotes about working' and found that there essentially was no such thing. I suppose philosophers and savants are similar to myself in that there is no funny way to describe working. It's either "Work hard and you'll prosper" or "Find a job that makes you happy." Trust me, I get that - it's the getting part of the equation that's proving to be the most difficult.

And yes, I understand that it's a terrible economy right now and unemployment is at its highest. But I hear reports all the time about how many thousand more jobs are being created daily or how this and that is going to boost the job market (clearly I pay attention). So why is it that the unemployed are remaining unemployed? The infamous Catch 22. We've all heard the phrase and I'm sure most of my fellow college graduates have used it multiple times in this same context. Apparently, companies don't want to hire someone with zero experience. And how does one get said experience? Bazinga! By getting a job (or an internship). It stings a little, doesn't it?

It appears to me that those being hired are the ones who have already have a job or who have been unemployed for a brief period of time, while the true unemployed just sink deeper and deeper into the hiring pool. Will this trend only continue as more and more people pursue higher degrees of education? Will a PHD become the new norm? I loved college but I sincerely hope that isn't the case...

Let me end this post by saying I had no means for this to get so preachy, it just seems that, without the right connections doing everything they can to get you a job, the odds of getting into most companies are slim to none. And if you did so on your own, job well done! Tell me all about your job search and hiring experience so I can take notes. Otherwise, have a cookie for getting through this and have a wonderful weekend.


0 comments:

Post a Comment