Wednesday, July 13, 2011

How long do we have to wait for everyone to grow up?


What is it that keeps people, even adults, from growing up? Sure, we all know that women mature faster than men and that you have to date older to find a guy on your maturity level, but I've now experienced first hand that older does not necessarily mean more mature. And it's not an attempt to hold onto youth; that's just a lie someone told to feel better about their behaviors. So what is it that prevents people from maturing?

Is it some kind of twist in their childhood, making them think the carefree ways of the immature were better than the ways of the wise? I find that I'm almost more carefree than I used to be. Not having to worry about what other people think or if you were wearing the right outfit. Not fighting to be in the popular crowd or crying because you aren't. Life now is pretty good. Sure there are bills to pay and you work 40 hours a week, but I'm much more content with that than attending school for 7 odd hours.

The thing I hate the most is when people think they are the most mature, sophisticated people around but they're worse than a 13 year old. We all have our flaws and by this point in life, you would think we'd all be aware of them. I became highly aware of my stubbornness in high school and have since learned to pick my battles very carefully because, well, when you challenge me you better be ready to fight to the death. So when does everyone else catch up? When does the rest of the world realize their flaws, work on them and become the adult they're supposed to be? We can't stay young for everyone and hell, I don't want to. So why would anyone willingly choose to continue a behavior they've been doing since junior high?

How long do we have to wait for everyone to grow up??

1 comment:

  1. As someone who is barely older than you, but because of my... unique life path following high school, I can tell you that there is a huge majority of people who just flat out never grow up. So many people are just content to keep going through life as if they never graduated from high school, much less college.

    ReplyDelete