Sunday, July 17, 2011

"Sorrow is a fruit. God does not make it grow on limbs too weak to bear it." -- Victor Hugo



It has been exactly one month since Teddy lost the fluid in his abdomen. For a while, I expected it to come back and I still fear it will but his behavior this morning makes me think he's feeling better than ever. Nothing beats being woken up by a whining dog, jumping to try and get on your bed and lick you until you wake up. Or taking said dog for a walk around the block and having to speed up your pace to keep up with him. Ironically, I had a dream last night that contained several scenarios of my dog dying and yet here he is, happy, energetic, and hopefully healthy.

I took a much needed break last night and stayed in. I read, wrote, pondered, remembered. And then, this morning, I understood. It truly was an aha moment, the realization of why things had to happen. Take Teddy for example. When we found out he had his liver problems, I had two options. To distance myself from my amazing puppy or bond with him like no other and make sure he had the best last weeks of his life. I went for option B and here we are, 6 months later and still going. That bond is something I wouldn't trade for the world.

Victor Hugo is right- The Lord doesn't put us through trials and tribulations if we can't handle it. Of course, that knowledge and outlook is hardest to grasp when you're in the thick of it all. And I'll admit, I knew things would get better with time and that there was a reason for everything but constantly telling yourself that doesn't make it any easier to believe. No, it's not until you reach the other side of the mountain that you become capable of looking back and appreciating the journey. Appreciating the hardships and burdens you have overcome. And looking back at where you were and seeing where you are now, that's got to be one of the best feelings in the world.

So those troubling times you're going through now? Just remember, they don't last forever and honestly, the view's much better from the other side of the mountain.

0 comments:

Post a Comment