Sunday, March 27, 2011

"So just love, make mistakes, and have wonderful times, but never second guess who you are, where you have been, and most importantly, where it is you are going." --Carrie Bradshaw


Carrie speaks the truth. I know it, you know it. The problem is listening to her words and following the advice. I had this quote saved from last month, intending to use it in another context I'm sure, but re-reading it now gives it a whole other life.

The first 4 days at my job were so incredibly difficult. Not only was I getting used to living in a new city on my own, but add to the mix working an 8-5 and dealing with everything that comes with it. Making it to work on time, deciding what to have for lunch, what you're going to do with your time when you get home and most importantly, enjoying what you're doing from the 8-5 enough to have time pass relatively quickly, or at least not drag by. This was my problem. All 20 odd years of my life, I have wanted to do something in the creative realm. Act, sing, write stories or songs, play music, design graphics. Anything and everything that had to do with the artsy stuff. So, after 20 some years of wanting/loving/expecting this, learning that what I was going to be doing at my job was nothing like this was a harsh blow.

It made me wonder, is it a good idea to teach our kids to believe in their dreams and that dreams do come true? Of course. I'm being cynical and mopey that I didn't have the guts and determination to go after my dreams (there is still time, of course!). But reading the above quote made me realize that everything up to this point has gotten me to where I am. There is a reason why I love writing songs or blogs or stories, even if only to get my feelings out and escape to a different reality once in a while. There's a reason why I can sing, even if only to sing to my children at night. But everything has it's own purpose in your life, you just have to remember that.

And this job, which has gotten exponentially better since I started, will play a role in my life to come. Maybe it'll be a good first job to have on my resume or maybe it'll get me to that international travel I've dreamt about for a while now. Regardless, it will serve a purpose. So come tomorrow, when I wake up at 7am and am wishing I were back in college or when my day starts and the fun of the job hasn't hit me yet, I'll think back to this quote, this blog and remember that this is just a puzzle piece in my life that will serve as a means to fill the next piece in.

0 comments:

Post a Comment