Monday, June 27, 2011



"Music speaks what cannot be expressed, soothes the mind and gives it rest, heals the heart and makes it whole, flows from heaven to the soul." --Ludwig Von Beethoven



Music has always been an integral part of my life. I remember road trips in which my family would chastise me for "singing" (alright, yelling) along with my Mary-Kate and Ashley cassette tapes, protesting that I was, indeed, the cute one. I remember my mother dragging me to piano lessons, all the while hating them because my fingers could barely reach past a third while my sister did so with ease. And I remember finding my niche with song writing and percussion. Over the years, my passion for music has grown and the need for it in my life has become apparent.

I find it interesting how we come back to what we know and enjoy when things aren't going our way, and even when they are. I had the most amazing vacation last week, spending time with my family who loves me and will always be there. Who gave me the most wonderful hugs and shared a thousand laughs with me. And even in those moments, when jokes and laughter were shared, I realized how important music is for me. To express how I'm feeling, to get certain thoughts out in the open or to even just celebrate and bask in the moment.

My darling cousin Madison and amazing Aunt Liz shared the song of my life right now, Bring Night by Sia. It's another perfect pop anthem to add to your summer playlist and for all those pop fans out there, I would be doing an injustice by not sharing it with you.



It's so simple and yet so entrancing. I can put it on and instantly get the biggest smile on my face. You should have seen me dancing around the condo like a eight year old, singing into my hair brush. But that's the amazing thing about music. It can make you forget all of your problems and take you to a completely different world where, for three minutes, you forget that bills are due on a Tuesday and you are suddenly single. It reminds you that anything is possible and that you still, very much, are capable of smiling like before.

And maybe it's not music for you, maybe it's playing basketball or reading a book, but I've found in those moments when it's just you, you really can find yourself. And music is what allows me to do that. I can only hope you know (or find) what it is that allows you to get to that same point.

1 comment:

  1. Read, approved, and words can't even describe how much I love you. (:

    ReplyDelete