Tuesday, February 1, 2011

If you have to think about it, something's not right.



“Practically all the relationships I know are based on a foundation of lies and mutually accepted delusion.” --Samantha Jones


Some things have come to my attention in an acquaintance's life and it's really made me think. If you have to think about it, something's not right. I have a strict rule when I go shopping. If I'm not sure about an article of clothing, I make a point to walk away. If I'm still thinking about it when I leave the store or mall, obviously it's something I really want and will buy said item.

If you're continuously returning to the same thought process (should I get a dog? should I break up with so and so?) then clearly, something in that equation does not fit. To get the same answer every time and yet continue asking the same questions? That's like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. It just won't work.

I love Sex and the City. A little racy for the younger audience (who are hopefully not watching it) but it's seriously a great show. Could Samantha Jones be right? Are all relationships based on lies and mutually accepted delusion? After seeing a few relationships in action, I could agree. Many a relationship is built on this faulty foundation and they all end up in rubble. But for every ill fated relationship, there is (hopefully) one to counter that. If honesty was ever imperative, this is that time. How can any relationship survive if each partner is telling lies?

I've made a point in my life to be completely honest. It's brutal at times but those who actually care to know and grow from the truth aren't offended. I've been trying too hard to play the "perfect girlfriend" card and am realizing it's not me. But there's no need for pointless fights when an issue can easily be resolved with a conversation.

So stop and asses you relationships, recent decisions and contemplations. If something feels off about any of them, odds are it'll stay that way unless you honestly talk about it. And if that doesn't work, clearly something's not right.

0 comments:

Post a Comment