Wednesday, February 16, 2011



"The most important thing in life is your family. There are days you love them, and others you don't. But, in the end, they're the people you always come home to. Sometimes it's the family you're born into and sometimes it's the one you make for yourself."--Carrie Bradshaw


Family. As a person who has gone from living on her own to living back with her parents, I completely understand the annoyed side of the equation mentioned above. But I've been blessed with a family that I wholeheartedly, unconditionally love and I make a point to recognize that.

But the thing that struck me about this quote is that family has all the meanings you want it to have. I have my Houston family, I had my Norman family, with the six of us cooking Sunday dinners and playing hide and seek when the power went out. I have my besties, I have my second family of two sweet angel children and two of the best parents I know. Lately, I've had to make a point to remind myself just how blessed and lucky I am. It's not something I forget easily but with what's going on it's easy to take it for granted.

Why is it that the people that love us unconditionally are the ones that tend to get on our nerves? Is it because they say the things others won't? And why is it then, that the people who will always be there for us are the ones we always seem to be so eager to leave? You book it out of the house after high school and hope that you can live on your own from that point on.

It's interesting to me to watch this family dynamic all the while keeping this in mind. And while you might be ready to rip your hair out in frustration from something a family member said, it's important to remember just how lucky you are that they're around.

0 comments:

Post a Comment